1. Home
  2. What documents do I need in order to apply for an F1 visa?

What documents do I need in order to apply for an F1 visa?

The following documents will be required when you apply for an F-1 visa:

Mandatory documents

Before the interview, you are required to pay a non-refundable visa application fee and then provide the receipt on the interview day. You should also provide one passport photograph, Form DS-160’s confirmation page, the original interview appointment letter and a copy of it, the original SEVIS Form I-20 issued to you by a U.S. university, college, or school duly signed by an official of the institution and you, a copy of the Form I-20, Original and a copy of SEVIS Fee Receipt I-901’s proof of payment and a valid passport (your passport must be valid for at least six months after your entry into the U.S.; if you just renewed your passport, you have to include your old passport)

Supporting documents

Evidence of sources of finance/income

  • You have to provide the following documents as evidence of financial sources:
    • proof of liquid assets and readily available funds to take care of your personal needs and pay for your education
    • employment letter
    • pay stubs

Note that if you are being sponsored by your parents, a family member, any other person, or a business, you have to provide a notarized Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support), tax returns and bank statements of your sponsor covering a period of 6 months. If you took out loans from a bank to pay for your school fees, you should come to the interview not only with the application for the loan but other official documents which can be used to verify the approval of the loan (if only a modest amount is obtained as a loan, you will also be required to show additional liquid assets). If you are given a scholarship by any organization or the university that offers you the admission, your Form I-20 will give details of your scholarship if you have one.

Note that the above-mentioned documents are just suggested documents. Your ability to sponsor your education is not proven by any specific documents. Just come to the interview with all necessary financial documents that show you or your sponsor have adequate funds for your studies in the United States.

Education documents

You should support you application with the original of your academic credentials and certificates, transcripts of your high school diploma or degree transcripts, depending on the program you are doing, approved test scores such as TOEFL, GRE, LSAT, GMAT, and SAT and your grade reports from your previous institution.

Note that you may be able to apply for an F-1 visa if you have not obtained your degree certificate in so far as you provide a provisional certificate and grade reports. If the institution that gave you admission does not require you to take TOEFL or GRE, you should request the university to issue you a letter stating the same.

For detailed information on the options available to you and for expert help on your immigration process, you should contact our office and speak with our experienced and professional attorney.

Updated on January 15, 2020

Was this article helpful?

Need help?
Can't find the answer you're looking for? Please contact us. We're here to help!

Leave a Comment