1. Home
  2. Form I-131 Travel Application Guide

Form I-131 Travel Application Guide

What is the Form I-131 Travel Application?

Form I-131 is a travel application. This travel document often is used by green card holders.

You can use it to apply for a re-entry permit, refugee travel document or advance parole travel document.

  • A Re-entry permit enables a lawful permanent resident or conditional permanent resident (Green Card Holders qualify for both of these categories) to apply to be admitted into the United States, after returning from travel abroad, without the need to obtain a returning resident visa from a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate.
  • A Refugee Travel Document can be allotted to an individual in valid refugee or asylee status, or to a lawful permanent resident who obtained refugee or asylee status in the United States.
    • Individuals who hold asylee or refugee status and are not lawful permanent residents must have a Refugee Travel Document to return to the United States after travel abroad, unless they possess an Advance Parole Document.
    • You should apply for a Refugee Travel Document BEFORE you leave the United States.
  • An Advance Parole Travel Document allows you to physically enter into the United States for a specific purpose without applying for a visa.
    • This document can authorize you to appear at a port of entry to seek parole into the United States. However, someone who has been “paroled” has not been permanently admitted to the United States and remains an “applicant for admission” even while paroled.
    • Although the document may be accepted by a transportation company instead of a visa as permission to travel to the United States, an Advance Parole Document cannot replace a required passport. Most Advance Parole Documents are issued for multiple entries; however; some are issued for single entries.

Form I-131 is Included with SimpleCitizen.

What supporting documents do I attach to Form I-131?

You will need the following documents in order to fill out and submit I-131:

  • Your application with the filing fee.
  • A copy of an official photo identity document showing your photo, name, and date of birth
    • These include: your current Employment Authorization Document, if available; a valid government-issued driver’s license; passport identity page; Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card; or any other official identity document.
    • Form I-94 Arrival-Departure Record is not acceptable as a photo identity document.

Document Upload is Included with SimpleCitizen.

Additional Documentation Required for Reentry Permit Application:

  • A copy of the front and back of your Form I-551; OR
    • If you have not yet received your Form I-551, a copy of the biographic pages of your passport and a copy of the visa page showing your initial admission as a lawful permanent resident, or other evidence that you are a lawful permanent resident
  • A copy of the Form I-797, Notice of Action, approval notice of an application for replacement of your Form I-551 or temporary evidence of lawful permanent resident status.

Additional Documentation Required for Refugee Travel Document Application:

  • A copy of the document issued to you by USCIS showing your refugee or asylee status and the expiration date of this status.

Additional Documentation Required for Individuals Currently In the U.S.:

  • A copy of any document issued to you by USCIS showing your present status, if any, in the United States; AND
  • An explanation or other evidence showing the circumstances that warrant issuance of an Advance Parole Document; OR
    • If you are an applicant for adjustment of status, a copy of a USCIS receipt to prove that you filed the adjustment application; OR
    • If you are traveling to Canada to apply for an immigrant visa, a copy of the U.S. consular appointment letter; OR
    • If USCIS has deferred action in your case under DACA, you must include a copy of the Form I-797 (Notice of Action) showing that the decision on your Form I-821D was to defer action in your case. If ICE deferred action in your case under DACA, submit a copy of the approval order, notice or letter issued by ICE.

Additional Documentation Required for Individuals Outside of the U.S.:

  • A detailed description of why you are requesting an Advance Parole Document (urgent humanitarian reasons, significant public benefit reasons), an explanation for the length of time for which parole is requested, and copies of any evidence and documentation that supports the reasoning behind your request.
  • Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support)
  • A statement explaining why a U.S. visa cannot be obtained, including when and where attempts were made to obtain a visa, or an explanation of why a visa was not sought to enter the United States
  • If applicable, a statement explaining why a waiver of inadmissibility cannot be obtained to allow issuance of a visa, including when and where attempts were made to obtain a waiver, and a copy of any DHS decision on your waiver request, or an explanation of why a waiver has not been sought
  • A copy of any decision on an immigrant or non-immigrant petition or application filed for an individual seeking to enter the United States, and evidence regarding any pending immigrant or non-immigrant petition or application
  • In addition to the identity document described in Item 1. Initial Evidence above, unless such document is a valid passport:
    • A copy of the biographical page of the beneficiary’s passport or, if it is not available, an explanation why a passport is not available and another government-issued identity document that establishes the beneficiary’s citizenship; and
    • Copies of the petitioner’s and Form I-134 sponsor’s official identity documents and evidence of their citizenship or U.S. immigration status (such as a copy of a U.S. passport, lawful permanent resident card, or birth certificate).

What is the processing time for Form I-131?

USCIS does not specify an average processing time for review and acceptance of Form I-131. However, USCIS processes forms in the order in which they are filed, so the sooner you submit your form, the faster it’ll be approved.

What is the Form I-131 mailing address?

You may submit Form I-131 by mail or online to USCIS. The direct filing addresses differ based on the type of travel document for which you are applying and immigration status you hold. You can find direct filing addresses on the USCIS website. For online applications, information about where to send your supporting documentation is provided when you submit your application electronically. You will be provided with a confirmation sheet when you submit your application online and you must place a copy of this confirmation sheet on top of your supporting documentation when you mail it to USCIS.

What is the Form I-131 class of admission?

The Form I-131 class of admission refers to the visa category by which you were admitted as an immigrant to the United States as a permanent resident or conditional permanent resident.

How long does my travel authorization last as granted through Form 1-131?

Travel authorization lasts for different periods of time for the following documents:

  • Typically, a Reentry Permit issued to a lawful permanent resident is valid for 2 years from the date of issuance. It may not be extended.
  • A Refugee Travel Document is valid for 1 year. It may not be extended.
  • An Advance Parole Travel Document is valid for up to 1 year. Individuals may be granted a multiple entry or a single entry document.

What is the Form I-131 filing fee? Do I qualify for a fee waiver?

The Form I-131 filing fee ranges from $105 to $575 depending on your age and type of travel application you are requesting. Biometric service appointments are required in all cases and cost either nothing or $85 depending again on your age and type of travel application.  You do not need to pay a fee to file Form I-131 under the following conditions:

  • You are filing Form I-131 Application Type B or D.
  • You filed a Form I-485 with a fee on or after July 30, 2007.
  • Your Form I-485 is still pending.

You may qualify for a fee waiver under 8 CFR 103.7(c). If you are eligible for a fee waiver, complete and submit Form I-912 (Request for Fee Waiver) with any required evidence of your inability to pay the filing fee with this application. You can review the fee waiver guidance at https://www.uscis.gov/feewaiver.

What if my documentation is in a language other than English?

Any document containing foreign language must be accompanied by a full English language translation which the translator has certified as complete and accurate. You must also include the translator’s certification that he or she is adequately able to translate from the foreign language into English.

Certified Document Translation is Included with SimpleCitizen.

What do I do after I fill out I-131?

After processing your application for a Reentry Permit, USCIS will inform you in writing when to go to your local Application Support Center (ASC) for your biometrics services appointment. This appointment is to gather physical data by which a person can be uniquely identified. At your biometrics appointment, USCIS will collect your fingerprints, take your photo, and have you sign your name for electronic capture. You must attend the biometrics services appointment in order to finalize your travel authorization. If you do not attend the appointment, your application may be denied.

Ways to fill out and submit Form I-131:

Fill Out On a Computer

Download and view in a PDF viewer.

Download PDF

SimpleCitizen’s Application Builder

Form I-131 is included with SimpleCitizen.

Get Started
*Includes Attorney Review

Print the PDF and fill by hand with black pen.

Print PDF

Find a legal professional to complete the form.

Visit AILA.com

Don’t Forget:

  • Upon returning to the United States, most people must present a valid H, L, K, or V nonimmigrant visa for re-entry.
Updated on January 15, 2020

Was this article helpful?

Need help?
Can't find the answer you're looking for? Please contact us. We're here to help!


  1. After having my application accepted, do as IRS class of admission, do I need to present those type of visa mentioned in the don’t forget section?

  2. If you send I 131 you don’t pay the fee what gonna happen

  3. Can i travel abroad after my biometrics appointment even less than 6 months stay here in US. I just arrived last November 4, 2020 from a 4month vacation abroad.

  4. Hello,
    Having paid for the Travel Document form 1-131, where is the filling Center, and how do I know if it.s been issued? what email address can I make my inquiry and send for this Travel Document? I lost my Green Card, which is why am requesting a Travel Document since am outside the U.S. Cheers

  5. Part 2: Application type. My asylum case has been approved. Which option should i choose in Part 2: Application type? Thank you.

  6. I visited several blogs but the audio quality for audio songs present at this web page is truly excellent.

Leave a Comment